Wednesday, March 19, 2014



"On this earth I may wander, but in Him I dwell in a 'peaceful abode, a tent that will not be moved; its stakes will never be pulled up, nor any of its ropes broken.'"  (Spurgeon on Isaiah 33:20)
In all of my travels + seemingly nomadic life, the Lord never ceases to remind me of His steadfast love.  Often times, it comes in a whisper, through laughter, through the weather, and sometimes it comes in a loud roar, through rain, through His Word, through the words of His saints.  This particular reminder came through the words of one of my favorite of His saints - Charles Spurgeon.

"I dwell with you as an alien, a stranger."  (Psalm 39:12)

"Yes, O Lord, I 'dwell with you' - not 'near You.'  All the alienation I had from You in my natural state has been removed by Your grace.  And now, in true fellowship with You, I walk through this sinful world as a pilgrim in a foreign land.  You as well are a stranger in Your own world, for people forget You, dishonor You, and enact new laws and practice customs without knowing or acknowledging You.

"When Your dear Son 'came to that which was his own...his own did not receive him' (John 1:11).  'He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him' (John 1:10).  There was never even a foreigner who was such a fish out of water among the citizens of any country as Your beloved Son was among His mother's own people.

"Thus, it is no wonder that I who live the life of Jesus should be unknown and considered a stranger here on earth.  In fact, Lord, I would never want to be a citizen in any land where Jesus is considered to be an alien.  His pierced hands have loosened the ropes that once tied my soul to earth, and now I find that I myself am a stranger in this land.

"...Yet here is the sweetest part of my seeming predicament: I am a stranger 'with you.'  You are my fellow-sufferer, my fellow-pilgrim.  Oh, what a joy to wander this earth in such blessed company!  My heart burns within me when He speaks with me along the road.  And though I am a wanderer, I am far more blessed than those who sit on thrones and far more at home than those who sit in their seemingly secure houses.


'To me remains no place, nor time,
My country is in every clime;
I can be calm and free from care
On any shore, since God is there.

"While place we seek, or place we shun,
The soul finds happiness in none:
But with a God to guide our way,
'Tis equal joy to go or stay."
(William Cowper, 1731-1800)


Jim Reimann adds to this commentary, "'Tis equal joy to go or stay' or, as Paul said, 'I am torn between the two' (Phil. 1:23).  Believers have a God-given yearning for what lies ahead.  'We ourselves...groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies' (Rom. 8:23).  Yet Paul recognized he was being used to prepare others for glory - 'I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith.'  Then he left the Philippians with this:  ''Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ' (Phil. 1:25, 27).

What great advice!  May we heed this advice today + always.